June 27, 2017

We judge

We judge each other based upon the tone of our skin, the color of our hair, the job we have chosen, the person we are dating or married to, the number of children we have, the house we live in, the car we drive, the state we live in, the church we attend, the size of our yard, the number of our possessions, our friends, who we voted for in the last election, how well put together we appear.

All of these things are surface, almost irrelevant.  Some of them have merit more than others, but they are all based upon appearances.

Maybe the only car I can afford to drive is 10 years old, and falling apart, but hey, I have a car that gets me from point A to point B and back again.  Why should it matter what kind of vehicle I drive?  My car and yours will burn up on the Last Day, and all will be equal.

Who we marry, Who we place our Faith in, and our friendships are definitely of greater importance, but there are also a lot of preferences at play here.  I could marry the hunkiest, good-looking guy who is an inch deep, and that wouldn't do me any good in the short or long term.  I would rather marry a guy who is less sleek, less polished, less sophisticated looking, but who's heart is good and right and centered on what really matters.

Our faith in God is of great importance, as it should influence every decision we make.  We need to place ourselves under the teaching of truly honest, bible-minded shepherds and teachers who care about the condition of our spiritual life, and will guide and direct us into righteousness.  I am so thankful for my own church family and the spiritual nourishment I receive each week from the interaction I have with fellow Believers who love Jesus, and demonstrate the kind of lives I want to emulate.

Friendships are another thing with a mix of greater and lesser importance attached to them.  I once read a wise saying that put it like this:  "You become like the five people you spend the most time with.  Choose carefully."  And I have found this to be true.  We pick up on each other's body language, tone of voice, style of speech, likes and dislikes.  We really do become like one another, and that can be good, but it can also be scary if we don't have discernment as to who we should be friendly towards.  If, however, we are basing our friendships merely on looks, talents, or money, we are doing it wrong.  Our motivation in friendships should be mutual encouragement and edification, no matter what our friends look like physically, or what type of financial background they come from.

If we spend our lives naysaying others, tearing them down or judging them based solely on appearance, we have missed one of the biggest things in life - that God created all of us in His image, and that we are all made for relationship with Him, and with others.  He left Heaven's perfection, to come to earth for 33 years, and live among sinful humanity.  If that doesn't teach us about love and acceptance, I don't know what will.

___________________________________________

"When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."

John 13:12-17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!