November 19, 2015

The 12 Days of Thanksgiving

My blogging friend and email-pal, S.F. from On Solid Ground has nominated me to participate in the 12 Days of Thanksgiving project.  Thank you, S. F.!  

Happy Thanksgiving!!



1. Jesus - my Hope, my Anchor, My Lover, my God.  Without Jesus, I would be nothing, or even dead.  He has given me a reason to live, to sing, to love, and to help others.  I try to live my life each day with Him in mind. 

2. My family - not just my parents, siblings, and niece, but my extended family including Poppy, Grams, Grandma, uncles, aunts, and loads of cousins. You all make my life brighter and I love you dearly.

3. Books - a true gateway to greater knowledge and understanding on a host of topics.  Right now I am studying to become a Nouthetic counselor, so books are my best friends.  But I enjoy reading for a whole lot of other reasons, and I am so thankful I know how to read. 

4. Music - which is a large part of my life and always has been.  I am especially grateful for the Christ exalting tunes created by All Sons & Daughters, my favorite band.  I am also humbled and grateful that each week I get to help lead worship.  

5. A comfortable house which keeps me safe and sound from the weather and scary things in our world.  I feel rich just thinking about all the things which are a part of my life, and how blessed I am to have been given them.  I hope and pray that I never take them for granted. 

6. My job - I work as a nanny for the sweetest little boy (soon to be two sweet little boys), and I love my job so much!  It is not something I dread, or hate at all.  I get to work from my home which has allowed me to not only care for baby B., but also continue to pursue my education, and sharpen my life skills.  

7. Friends - God has blessed me with a host of strong friends who help me to continue in my growth as a Christian.  I want to say how especially thankful I am for: Lizzy, Bekah, Chris Beth, Adrean, Sina, Brenda, Jessie and S.F.).  Each of these relationships have blessed me this year as I have gotten to know them better. 

8. One Thousand Gifts - I didn't include this in my 3rd reason, even though it is a book, because it is way more than just a book.  It is really a movement, a way of life, an unfolding story as I choose to practice gratitude daily, and thank God for my countless gifts.  

9. Hurt - this has been a year full of new things for me, some of them (especially recently) have been deeply hurtful and painful to go through, but God always has a reason for our pain, and in my case it had to do with breaking me of pride and bitterness I was holding onto. 

10. Food - in all its lovely, wonderful forms.  Whether sweet or sour, hot or cold, new or old, food is such a gift, but also such a necessity.  I have been blessed every day of my life to have 3 square meals + snacks and plenty of clean drinking water.  There are a lot of people out there who don't have that, so I am thankful for God's provision through these means. 

11. The ocean - even though I have only experienced the Gulf of Mexico, which may or may not count as the ocean, there is something so calming, and yet so powerful about the great bodies of water we call oceans.  One day it is my dream to visit both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans, and behold their vast beauty. 

12. Last but not least by any means - The Holy Scriptures, the very words of God almighty revealed to humanity.  My appreciation and understanding of them grows each year as I devote myself to their study.  One verse which has meant a lot to me of late is 1 John 2:2 and I will leave you with its powerful message:   He himself is the sacrifice that atones for our sins—and not only our sins but the sins of all the world.

1 comment:

  1. Such a great list of blessings! I am very grateful to be included in your list. ♥ Thank you for your wonderful friendship, dear Abby!
    ~ S. F

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing!