October 1, 2015

Let's be raw

Being in the ministry is sometimes a thankless, grueling job, with lots of hours, and little appreciation for all of the effort put forth into whatever project you are currently working on.  It is easy to get burned out, and burned by this vocation, to be bitter or distant, to grow cold in your faith because it doesn't seem like God cares. 

But really, ministry is life and life ministry, and so if we treat the ministry we have been called to in the above manner, we will soon grow tired of our life, and maybe even God, and perhaps turn our backs on both.  This is a dangerous choice.  

"Life is tough and then you die" someone once said, but I disagree.  Life is tough, and eventually we will die, but even on a bad day life is still good... especially if God is the foundation for your life.  I have had a lot of bad days in my life, but my overall life has been great.  Full of blessings and amazing God-opportunities which I couldn't have orchestrated.  

That is one reason why I am still in "the ministry" - because I know that God is using my life to somehow effect others, and even when I feel burned out or lonely, I can still be used by Him, as long as my heart is leaning towards Him.  

I don't want to sound cliche (I pretty much hate cliches, especially "Christian" cliches), but the best is yet to come in all our lives.  Even when things are dark, and we are undergoing trials and hard times, God is working.  He is always working, in fact.  We just can't see the mysterious way He works.  

I love what Jesus had to say in the Sermon on the Mount about the different kinds of people and the rewards they would get, it really makes me know what to aim for in my life, and ministry.  I hope that it will give you hope and encouragement as you think about how God can use your life for His kingdom. 

----------------------------------

"He said:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit,

    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
 Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
 Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
 Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,

    for they will see God.
 Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

Matthew 5:3-12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!