March 31, 2015

Sunday's sermon:: my notes

My Dad has been preaching through 1 Peter the last couple of Sunday's and this past Sunday's sermon was exceptional .  I had my journal with me, and took a lot of notes, which I will share with you all now.

Text: 1 Peter 2:18-25

Part 1. Jesus Died for Me
Part 2. What Jesus Shows Me
Part 3. The feels uncomfortable part

v. 21-25 Peter takes us back the Cross.  Who is Jesus?  He is the sinless example setter.  He is also the suffering servant (Isaiah 53).

v. 21 "Christ suffered for us," He endured horrific physical torture, and also, the agonizing separation from His Holy Father, while He bore all our sins in His body on the tree (v. 24).  He died for my sins, for my soul, so that, having died to sin, I will live for righteousness!

v. 21-23 "when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten...."

Jesus shows us how to suffer:


  • Silently (Isaiah 53:7)
  • Sincerely (v. 22-23)
  • Sinlessly (v. 21, 24) 
He did not waver, He did not falter, He did not give in and let Satan win.  Our salvation is intact.

"but He kept en-trusting Himself to the One who judges righteously." (v. 23b)

v. 21 "Christ suffered for us, leaving us an example, that we should follow His steps." 

As a Christian, I am called to suffer, and that when I suffer, I do so as Christ did: 

  • Silently
  • Sincerely
  • Sinlessly / Righteously 
If my ultimate allegiance is Jesus Christ, I will most likely suffer for my faith. 

Jesus, give me faith, strength, endurance, grace to stand out / stand up for You.  And to have the obedience and strength to do so in the same manner You did.  Humble me, Jesus.

v. 24-25 (Rom. 6:1-11) 

1. Because Jesus suffered for me, sin is no longer my master

2. I am now alive to righteousness, I have a new master. 

3. I have been returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of my soul.  And He helps me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!