September 17, 2014

Essential Oils

With cold and flu season upon us, I want to recommend to you my readers, the use of essential oils for:

-strengthening the immune system
-fighting off colds / the flu
-everyday uses

I have personally benefited from the use of essential oils, both internally and externally.  My favorite brand to use, because of their quality (the purer the source, the better), and cost, is Heritage Essential Oils, based in Central Texas and run by the Sherman family.

Firstly, what are essential oils?

"Essential oils are volatile, aromatic chemicals obtained by steam or hydrodistillation of various
parts of plants, including seeds, bark, leaves, stems, roots, flowers and fruit. They are highly concentrated, beneficial secondary metabolites that serve as the defense mechanism of the plant"
What are their uses?

"There are four basic ways to take essential oils: through the lungs (inhalation), through the skin (massage), through the digestive tract (by mouth) and through the absorbent tissues of the body orifices (suppositories or orally absorbed – not swallowed). Holding a drop of a suitable essential oil in the mouth allows them to be absorbed directly into the bloodstream. Swallowing the oils results in a major portion being destroyed by the stomach acids, so a greater amount of oil is required when swallowed than when simply held in the mouth, but since some oils are too strong to be held comfortably in the mouth, and when internal usage is deemed appropriate, swallowing oils in a capsule is an effective alternative. The choice of the usage should best fit the need." (emphasis my own)
Some of my favorite oils include:

- Cleansing (I have used this on my skin to heal different ailments that I have dealt with, dermatologically)

It can be used to fight infection, fungus, to regeneration damaged skin tissue, it can be used to clean rashes, burns, and bruised tissue.

Lavender (I use this as a sleep aid, when I struggle with insomnia; and as a peace and calm inducing tool; I have also used it to ease the pain of sunburn)

It has so many uses, from skin to hair, to arthritis, to headaches, to infections.  It is a very versatile oil.

Lung Healing (I have used this to combat chest infections, to ease allergies, sore throats, and other respiratory issues)

It can be used to fight respiratory infections, asthma, pneumonia, and other breathing issues.

His Garments (This is a lovely smelling oil which we use as a sort of perfume, but it has health benefits as well; I have used it to clear away headaches)

It can be used as an immune support, good for the endocrine system and thyroid, helps with DNA repair, and as a deep sleep aid.

- Vitality (Is an oil I have used to help with my severe headaches I battle from time to time, and also with energy levels, and focus; it has also been helpful as a hormone booster)

It can used for thyroid support, hormone issues, and energy.

- Plague Defense (I have used this to clean laundry and household items during flu season, it is also an immune booster that helps to fight off colds and the flu)

Can be used to help fight off infections, the flu, lung ailments, for cuts, and has helped to eliminate molds as well.

These are just a few of the wonderful oils that our family has used over the years, to combat illness, to maintain a healthy, happy life, and a clean home environment.

I have also found when I have been ill, that employing reflexology massage on my feet using essential oils, has helped when I have had the flu, and other health issues.

Lastly, here is a helpful resource to get you started on your journey to a healthy fall and winter, despite all the stuff floating around out there.

4 comments:

  1. We love using essential oils, too! They're so nice and so refreshing. :)
    ~ S. F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!

      It's ironic that I posted this, and then came down with a cold of sorts (allergies, end of summer, changing weather, etc.), and I used the Lung Healing on the bottom of my feet (reflexology), to get rid of my stuffy head, and runny nose. Thank God for lovely smelling essential oils that heal!

      Delete
    2. Ha! That is ironic. It is funny how things happen like that at times. Yes, many thanks and praises to God!
      ~ S. F.

      Delete
    3. God's timing is perfect! And He obviously has a great sense of humor, in how He reminds me of my full reliance upon His strength, and not my own.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing!