August 19, 2014

Journaling

a journal entry from over 2 years ago

I have been journaling since 2003, when I was 13 years young.  Which means, that I have accumulated quite a number of journals over the years, well over 20 are kept away in a box.  I will, from time to time, pull one out, and peruse its contents, smiling to myself at my idealism, and dreams, which were so far-fetched and unrealistic; or my rants on topics I was little acquainted with, but my passion oozed nonetheless.  

For me, keeping a journal serves two purposes: Firstly, it helps me to clarify my thoughts, since I find that I can understand something more clearly after I have thought it over, and recorded it on paper.  And secondly, to keep a record of life events, quotes, struggles, and musings, which are private, but which I wish to record for the future.  

I currently have two journals which I write in on a regular basis - one is my personal journal, where I write about my life, and focus my writing on working through problems, recording prayers, blessings, joys and sorrows.  The other is my 1000 gifts journal, where I record, the blessings, magnificent and mundane, with which God has blessed my life.  This is the second time I have gone through the 1000 Gifts journey, and I highly recommend this exercise, as thankfulness is one way we can worship our great Jesus.  

One thing I have learned from my years of keeping a journal, is that it is not wise to write when I am angry or upset, because I inevitably write things I later regret, things which need only be poured out to my Abba, in heart-wrenching prayer.  

If you don't keep a journal, I would encourage you to do so - even if it just a prayer journal, it can be so helpful to see what your heart is wanting to say.  I find that often my words are best expressed on paper, not audibly.  

-------------------------------------------

I pour out my soul in words. Desperate to be able to understand life, embracing its ups and downs. Each day is a gift, another opportunity to bless, to smile, to share, to extend mercy, to truly love. Release your fears to Jesus, and find peace in Him. 

2 comments:

  1. It has only been in the last year that I have kept a constant journal. My two older sisters have always been really good at it, so I wanted to be like them. Looking back on my past journal entries I wrote, I find myself smiling because of all the things I wrote when I was younger, even if it was only a little bit. Thank you for the encouragement and inspiring words!
    God bless you,
    S. F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find journaling therapeutic, and elucidating. I think you will be glad that you have kept a journal, in years to come, when you can look back and see what the Lord has taught you, the blessings you have received, and the adventures you have taken, all recorded there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing!