January 31, 2014

How often do I pray for my parents?


My parents are extraordinary people.  Maybe not to most folks, but they are to me.  They have been married to each other for 32 years, have parented 6 children, and shepherded many others through my Dad's preaching ministry of 30+ years.  They have impacted my life in ways that are eternally significant, and minute.  

But recently I asked myself something that I wish I had considered a long time ago: how often do I pray for my parents? 

So, I would like to suggest that there are at least 5 main areas in which we can pray for our parents, as grateful children, and as fellow Christians.

1. That their love for Jesus Christ and His Word would increase daily as they walk in the Spirit

2. That their marriage would be strong, Christ-centered, filled with love and covered in grace

3. That my parents would have physical strength, staminia and good health for many years to come

4. That their witness to their families, congregation, friends and to the world would be strong and consistant

5. That their children would carry on the godly legacy they began, faithfully discharging it to the next generation

I need to pray for my parents more than I do now.  As I watch them age, physically, I am affected more by the impact and influence they have had on my life.  And I am so grateful. 

I love you Dad and Mom! 

2 comments:

  1. I love this Abby! Thanks for the important reminder that our parents need encouragement and prayer and support too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It is often something I myself forget to do. I am glad that you were encouraged by the post. :)

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing!