July 27, 2012

Thoughts on entertainment


With all of the talk surrounding the recent massacre on the opening night of The Dark Knight Rises, a question that has been on my mind for a while, has come to the forefront once again.

What is acceptable when it comes to entertainment?

Last year I was listening to Ravi Zacharias speak about philosophy and he made three powerful, inter-related statements which, I believe, apply to entertainment.


  1. “Anything that refreshes you without diminishing, destroying or distracting you from your final goal, is a legitimate pleasure.
  2. Any pleasure that jeopardizes the sacred right of another is an illicit pleasure.
  3. Any pleasure however good, if not kept in balance, will distort reality or destroy appetite.”
Since I first heard those three statements, I have tried to use them as a guideline of sorts in regard to entertainment.

Another question I ask myself: "if the idea being portrayed causes the actors to perform things I would not do or approve of, in real life, why am I watching it as a form of relaxation / entertainment?"

 In other words, if actors are acting out violence, sexuality, language or are following an un-godly worldview, that goes against the very character and nature of God, I need to avoid that film.  It violates my conscience, and quenches the Holy Spirit residing in my heart.  Those are things I don't want to do, or have happen to me, because it is hard enough to live in this life with all of the sinful things that bombard me already, and it should be my aim in life to avoid those influences altogether.

That restricts what films I will allow myself to see, but you know what? that doesn't really matter.  I don't deserve to be entertained, it is not a right.

My purpose in life is to glorify God and enjoy Him, and to proclaim through my life, His glorious salvation in my life and what a changed person I have become. 

2 comments:

Thank you for sharing!