July 9, 2011

Why I'm not going to college in the traditional sense of the word...

That is a really long title for an important post I’ve been wanting to write for quite some time.
Many people have questioned my personal journey through High school and now into my adult years, as if to say “don’t you know what’s best for you?” (insert incredulous look)

To be honest, I don’t.

At least, I don’t fully know, because I am human, bound by time and space.  I can’t see into the future, so I don’t know what it holds for me. But, that’s perfectly fine with me.  As a child of the Most High God (Jesus Christ), His plans for my life are not always my plans.  And let’s just say, that’s for the best!
However, not too many of those who question how I am living, fully grasp the ‘why’ behind what I do, or how I live.  They just don’t seem to get it.

That’s frustrating.

Interestingly enough, these same people are the ones who promote “free-thinking” “liberation” and “independence” in their conversations and writings.  But independence from what? liberation from whom?

Why do they think this way?

They are influenced by the notion that schooling enables a body to be free from poverty, from a job that you don’t like, from being a wife or mom, from fear.  In reality however, further schooling causes many people to be further enslaved to a system that revolves around the 9 to 5 schedule.  (As if schooling can save us!)

Families are devastated when both parents work full-time, because the children need affection and affirmation from their parents which nurtures and grows them.  The Feminist movement lit a fire in the bosoms of women, who falsely believed they were victims of a patriarchy system gone wrong.  In fact, American women are so blessed.  They are not victims!

Now we are seeing the results of believing these lies: The break-down of marriages, through no-fault divorce; teen suicide, because parents placed their babies in the arms of strangers at 6 weeks old; unhappiness, stemming from a hedonistic “me” centered life; abortion on demand, because children really aren’t a blessing, just a nuisance; loneliness and anger, because dad is distant and un-interested in his children’s lives; rebellion, peer-dependence, drug taking, violence, selfishness.

These are the fruits borne from the tree of Lies.  If we eat of them, we will be blinded to the Truth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It all began for me about five or six years ago, when I first started thinking about being 18.  Sure I was influenced by my parents, but they are godly and I valued their opinion.  Plus, I was only a young girl and didn’t have much life experience under my belt.  They encouraged me from the time I was young, to learn the skills of homemaking: cooking, cleaning, taking care of children, music, love of books, writing.  And in most departments I did ok.  It wasn’t until after my fifteenth birthday, that I really began to show an interest in cooking, cleaning and those kinds of tasks.  For me, doing things the hard way, as it were, seems to be the story of my life.

Mom got really sick shortly after my seventeenth birthday.  Besides caring for her physical needs, trying to finish high school, and assisting my siblings with their book work, I also launched into the unknown world of “homemaking” – it was the best thing that could have happened to me.

For one thing, I was forced (by circumstances) to actually put meals together that were more than mac ‘n cheese (we don’t eat that, but you know what I mean – simple and tasty).  I had to be creative.  So I learned through trial and error, and didn’t give up.  Mostly because I couldn’t, but also because I really wanted to learn.  I wanted to be a great cook!

My thinking changed in other areas as well.  Not only was I learning about the operations of kitchen life, but I was also becoming more aware that certain people expected me to be preparing for college as soon as I graduated high school.  “But my mom is ill and needs me…” kept playing in my mind.  Still the questions persisted.

“Where are you going to college?” “you would make a great, this or that” “what are you planning on studying?” and so it went.  Thankfully, due to the fact that mom was so ill, I didn’t get out much and mingle with those people who were pressuring me to live by their standard for life.

Over the four years since mom’s illness (she is fully recovered now), I have had a lot of time to think and pray about my future.  There have been moments of doubt and pain, but mostly I am assured of what I want to do with the time that He has so graciously bestowed upon me.
My life verses are Philippians 3:7-9 which state:
7 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;
They have served as my motivation to “not waste my life” (or as John Piper puts it: Don’t Waste Your Life).  A long time ago, when I was but a wee girl, my deepest desire was to be a medical missionary and serve Christ on some far continent where the Gospel had yet to be preached.  Now, my desire is just to share the Gospel – wherever I am.  After a series of lectures I heard in 2005, my thinking changed in that respect.  Ken Ham impacted my thinking in that regard, and I have never been the same.

But I digress…

So the college question loomed over my head as I moved toward my twentieth birthday.  “No, I’m not enrolled in college, yet.” “No, I really don’t plan on attending traditional college.”  It was quite trying to be polite and gentle in my responses to people who asked.

So what is my education philosophy?  Basically, it is something that applies to me, (but could apply to more than one person if they so desired to adopt it for themselves). It is a unique system, tailor-made to suit my educational desires.
  1. First and foremost as His servant, to fulfill the calling He has placed upon my life – that of being a missionary to America.  All Christians should be sharing their faith; with family, friends, neighbors, etc.
  2. Secondly, to serve my family as a daughter and sister.  This is something I came upon through study of the Word, and a few books, (which I do not endorse, nor agree with 100%).  As a daughter still at home I have so many roles to fulfill – joyfully.
  3. Third, as a single young woman, I am able to serve others.  Right now I am able to help my grandma at least once a week, baby sit, and run errands.  If I was enrolled in a full-time college program, or off living by myself, things would be much different.
  4. Fourth, why would I desire to place myself under the authority of professors who may or may not (more likely, not) share my worldview?  That would be placing myself directly in the line of attack from Satan and his minions.  Yes, it is true that Christians are called to do “battle” with the spiritual hosts of wickedness.  I however believe that it would be sheer foolishness for me to invest thousands of dollars, and hundreds of hours of my time, digesting values of men and women that are diametrically opposed to the Truth contained in God’s written and infallible Word!
In our Post-Modern society, where “words have no meaning” and “there are no absolute truths,” to send our young ones into the fold of the enemy is not only dangerous, it is ultimately destructive.

In their book, Already Gone: Why Our Kids will Quit Church and What you Can do to Stop it (2009), authors Ken Ham and Brit Beemer reveal the startling truth that our young people (10 years on up) have already begun to question, if not shun outright, the truth found in God’s Word, and its implications on our society (worldview).  Most of the reason for this is the sad fact that the majority of Christian parents send their children to state-controlled government schools, where they learn that “life is worthless, God does not exist, they came from slime, that truth is relative, that capitalism is bad, that good is evil and evil is good…”

Why do I want to take part in a system that promotes those philosophies, which are against Scripture and the very character of God, our sovereign Creator?

Peter calls us to live soberly, because our Enemy seeks to destroy us:
8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.
I Peter 5:8-9
It is not sobriety to contribute to the success of a system which promotes lies, falsehood and destruction.
I have received a diverse and deep education (different from schooling) because of my parents decision to educate and disciple me at home, and through my own natural curiosity (which my parents helped inspire).  Through home education I have explored other times through my study of world and American history; I have learned about this earth through my study of Geography, I have written about all kinds of topics in creative writing class, I have become involved in the Creation v. Evolution debate through our family ministry, I have come to a better understanding of how weather patterns form through my study of science, and I appreciate art, music, literature, philosophy and ethics because I was exposed to them through the proper worldview.  All this and much more I learned in the comfort and security of my home sphere, surrounded by the people who know me best and love me most – my family.

And, I have been able to teach others, reinforcing what I have learned, and energizing my natural thirst for knowledge.

Other reasons I won’t be attending college in the traditional sense of the word include the following:
“The great thing — if you can call it that — is that it’s going to spark a dialogue and focus on the actual learning issue,” said David Paris, president of the New Leadership Alliance for Student Learning and Accountability, which is pressing the cause in higher education. “What kind of intellectual growth are we seeing in college?”
The study, an unusually large-scale effort to track student learning over time, comes as the federal government, reformers and others argue that the U.S. must produce more college graduates to remain competitive globally. But if students aren’t learning much, that calls into question whether boosting graduation rates will provide that edge.
  • I can’t afford the cost of American “higher education” and I am not going to ask the Government for a handout, and I most certainly do not want to go into debt! (Pragmatic reason #4)
  • Most importantly, I am not going to college because I believe it is what brings the most glory to God, which is my aim in life.  (Principled reason #1)
  • If I do take any college classes, it will probably be through my local community college, because I will be able to pick and choose which classes I am most interested in, and apply to what I am wanting to learn. (Principled reason #2)
  • I am not planning on having a career beyond wife, mom, home maker.  Right now, I have my hands more then full with working three part time jobs (accountant, nanny and janitor), plus taking care of household chores, assisting my family, church and friends.  This is the best life I could possibly want! (Principled reason #3)
  • I only have ONE life to live for Jesus, and I want to live it right, according to His will and good pleasure, and not my own. (Principled reason #4)
  • I always want to ask other people when they pressure me about going to college “I thought it was my choice to make” but that would be rude and unkind, so I refrain.  But really, it is my life to live, my future to plan, not theirs.  And if you are really going to stand for what you believe (liberation, independence, toleration, etc.) and not be contradictory, to pressure me into something you have conceived goes against your whole “free-thinking” complex, don’t you think? ;) (Pragmatic reason #5)
  • After reading John Taylor Gatto’s wonderful little book Dumbing Us Down I am more convinced then ever that public school and college are tools being used to control children and young people, making them wards of the state, cogs in a great statist machine.  I for one, don’t wish to be what Lenin called, “useful idiots.”  (Pragmatic reason #6)
For all of those reasons and more, I am not going to college, in the traditional sense of the word.

Now there’s something to think about…

2 comments:

  1. Dear Miss Kautt,

    Those are very sound ideas expressed very well. Bravo!

    Love in Christ,

    Jeff Young

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! I appreciate the kind sentiments. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing!