April 7, 2011

The Proverbs 7 woman


This morning in my personal devotions, I was reading Proverbs 7 (since today is the 7th), and again read those familiar words describing the Proverbs 7 woman - the one we are told to avoid.

Here are some of my observations:

  • She is shameless about her "dirty little secret" (vs. 10, 13)
  • She is described as "loud and rebellious"; and as a busy body, one who doesn't have any self-control (vs. 11-12)
  • She makes the man feel special, though selling her body for sex is her trade (vs. 14-15)
  • She makes sure the bedroom is attractive to her buyers eye (vs. 16-17)
  • She creates an aura of "love", when in reality, lust, immoral sexual desire, is all that lies at the heart of her trade (vs. 18)
  • She makes it apparent that she is married, but it's okay because her husband is away, and she knows when he will return, so it's safe to "play around until the appointed day," so-to-speak (vs. 19-20)
  • She is compared with a flatterer (vs. 21)
  • Those who go to her are like: a senseless ox prepared for slaughter (vs. 21), a fool (vs. 21), a bird hastening to a snare (vs. 22), and like one shot with an arrow in the liver (vs. 22)
  • She has: cast down many wounded (vs. 26), slain many strong men (vs. 27)
  • Her house leads to hell, descending to the chambers of death (vs. 28)
  • We are to: not turn aside our hearts to her way (vs. 25), not stray into her paths (vs. 25) 
If we heed verses 1-5, we gain a better understanding of how to combat "lady lust"

"My son, keep my words,
      And treasure my commands within you.
       2 Keep my commands and live,
      And my law as the apple of your eye.
       3 Bind them on your fingers;
      Write them on the tablet of your heart.
       4 Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,”
      And call understanding your nearest kin,
       5 That they may keep you from the immoral woman,
      From the seductress who flatters with her words."   Proverbs 7:1-5
And let me say as a woman, that these words are not just for the men in our midst, we can also learn the important lessons portrayed in these powerful verses! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi I don't know if u can answerme?? Iam married .. and my husband cheated on me and he was and is a alcoholicand very verballyabusive .. I ran into a man of whom I worked with .. we had a crushon each other but never did nothing cause we both were on a relationship..well 10 years later we run into eachother and we fell in love .. we have not been intimateat all .. but we love each other deeply .. I am in a seperation now .. and I don't know what to make of this ..I wish I could get some advice am I a seductress???

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing!