July 4, 2010

50 Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die

Why Jesus Came to Die


Copyright 2006, Desiring God Foundation
Published by Crossway Books
$6.49 at Desiring God bookstore

Are you seeking a deeper relationship with Jesus? A greater understanding of Christ's death? Do you want to grow your love for our Saviour? How about a true sense of gratitude for His death?

Recently I have taken the time to read and study through John Piper's marvelous book 50 Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die. An overview of the theological reasons why Jesus was sacrificed for the sins of mankind. As I work my way through this book I am seeing more clearly my sinfulness and His sinlessness. The picture is becoming clearer to me as to the reasons (or as Piper explains so wonderfully, the purposes) behind Christ's great love for me.

Supported by many scripture references, Dr. Piper draws a dramatic picture of the vast ramifications of Christ's death. He points it back the reason why behind the Cross. A predetermined agreement between God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit to conquer death and Satan. A holy agreement.

From the forward of this wonderful book Piper says the following: “When all is said and done, the most crucial question is: Why? Why did Jesus come to die? Not why in the sense of cause, but why in the sense of purpose. What did Christ achieve by His death? Why did He have to suffer so much? What great thing was happening on Calvary for the world?” “... I have gathered fifty reasons why Jesus came to die. Not fifty causes, but fifty purposes. Infinitely more important than who killed Jesus is the question: What did God achieve for sinners like us in sending His Son to die?” (p. 17, c. 2006)


As I began to work my way through this dear little book (it is actually rather small, only 122 pages long), my whole frame of reference changed as to the purpose for Christ's death. This became very apparent in the sixth entry: To Show His Own Love For Us. “He loved me and gave Himself for me.” Or as Piper puts it: “The early witnesses who suffered most for being Christians were captured by this fact: Christ “loved me and gave himself for me” (Gal. 2:20). They took the self-giving act of Christ's sacrifice very personally. They said, “He loved me. He gave himself for me.” (p. 30) His death was for me, for my sins. Very personal.

Yet is was the will of the LORD to crush him; he has put him to grief.” Isa. 53:10

Ultimately, Christ came to die for the sins of mankind, to fulfill the will of the Father, and to bring glory to God.

I am so thankful that I purchased this book, but regretful that I've not read it before now. This is a book that I highly recommend to everyone, so that you will have a clearer idea of the greatest sacrifice... ever!

“In Him we have redemption though His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace.” Ephesians 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!